Sunday, August 15, 2010

#73 - Bake Gourmet Cupcakes

Mike and I had a busy weekend! Between going to the Bronx Zoo and making "gourmet cupcakes," we had a lot of fun and completed two goals. That's another $20 in the savings account!

I figured when it came to "gourmet cupcakes," I had two options. I could either do some super complicated recipe OR I could do something super cute and fairly easy. I opted for the latter. I've definitely never made anything this cute before and it wasn't nearly as much of a pain in the arse as something truly gourmet would have been, so I'm putting it in the W column and calling it a day.

I knew when Mike heard I was baking cupcakes, he wouldn't be able to resist helping, so on Friday night, August 13, 2010, we began our cupcake crusade together (which is my favorite way to bake). Ours didn't turn out quite as well as Bakerella's, but we're still pretty proud of ourselves. The fries were super difficult to do, and ours came out...not really looking like fries at all...but the burgers actually looked pretty cute!

We knew we wouldn't be able to finish it all in one night, so we divided the work in two. On Friday night, we baked the sugar cookie fries, the brownies, and the cupcakes. We also cut the brownies into circles to make burgers (with a champagne flute!). On Saturday, all that was left to do was to cut the cupcakes in half (to make buns), mix the frosting into three colors for the ketchup, mustard, and lettuce, add the sesame seeds to the cupcake buns, and assemble.

I've decided to continue the theme of chronicling my goals through my facebook photos, so here they are. What can I say? I'm lazy and that's easier than posting them all here.

To anyone thinking about baking these, I encourage you to try it, maybe with kids. Because it's made from mixes, it's pretty easy, and it was definitely a lot of fun.

0 comments:

Post a Comment